Skip to main content

Please don't take your dog for granted ..............

There are times when we take our dogs for granted, however much we love them.
But when something out of the blue happens, we're given a sudden jolt, as if to remind us just what a major part of our life that friend is.
And so it was that recently I received a phone call from a friend whose dog I've looked after many times. She'd been unwell so the owner took her to the vets, hoping that a quick check up and some medication would sort things out.
But hearing how she'd been behaving, the vet carried out a number of tests including scans and that's when the cause of the problem was revealed  -  a brain tumour.
This very sad news upset me. I've known this 6yr old dog since she was a pup. What could I say to a person whose pet has been diagnosed with a terminal illness and whose life span is now weeks rather than years ?
Since the phone call I've visited the owners and their dog. She greeted me in her usual enthusiastic manner and displayed none of the symptoms associated with her condition.
However, I don't think I'll visit her again. I believe the memories I have should be of a dog who was healthy for six years, rather than sick for a few weeks.

Janet




Comments

  1. Hello, Janet.
    If the dog is still alive, and doesn't retreat to be on her own, do, visit. And even if she does, I'm sure the owners would appreciate your support.

    Being sick and dying is also a part of life, I know I would regret if I'd walked out on the dog when he/she would've been ill.. The good memories will stay as well :)
    (I couldn't help commenting as I was in a simmilar situation, so just wanted to give another perspective.
    Wishing you all the best in your life and work,
    Greetings, Alenka

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Italian Connection - Harry the Spinone

Let me introduce you to Harry, an Italian Spinone. Harry arrived yesterday for a day's "try out", prior to any long term boarding. He's as gentle as he looks and those eyes .... ! Janet

"Come on Chief, smile !!"

"Come on Chief, smile !!" That look from 9 mth old Chief tells me I'm lucky to take even one photograph of him ! Chief is just one dog who has stayed with me since the New Year, either for boarding or residential training. Nearly all can be seen on my Cumbria Dog Training Facebook page, and with a husband who is more than cabaple Peanut enjoys the fells. Meet Nala, a beautiful Portuguese Water Dog, who, at 7 mths old is still displaying alot of puppy traits. She's staying for a 24 hr try out and has fitted in really well. I'm pleased to be able to say that Peanut is staying with me again. This young Cocker is such a lovely girl who makes herself right at home and gets on so well with everyone, both people and dogs. And finally, time for my own girls !

Keep Cool Sumo !

Few things are nicer than a beautiful summer's walk being finished off by a cooling swim in a beck, hidden from all and known by only a few. Paul's dog Sumo is in his element here, with the joy of jumping in, then swimming to retrieve a tennis ball. Sumo leaps for he's worth. Bert has figured out how to leave the far bank to cross the beck but unfortunately for him, he's sitting on the last rock. Next step will be into the water.....not a thing he particularly enjoys. Bert  A beautiful image captures a beautiful dog - Lewis, a Black Labrador. Lewis  Chester is a regular boarding dog and his owners asked Paul to take a series of photographs of him while he stayed with us. Here is just one of them. Chester What can I say ? This is me having alot of fun - especially with Milo, a Pug X Shih Tzu.